Monday, 14 January 2013

Where I've Come From and Where I'm Going



(aka “A (Very Late) Recap of 2012”)


First up I should acknowledge that I’ve been pretty absent on the blog (and social media as a whole, really) for a while. I’ll discuss that shortly.

2012 has been a big year fo. Initially I feel that 2012 was a really good year for me, but when I look past the whole I’m-in-Europe! thing, I remember that it’s actually been a bit of a rocky year, writing wise and in real life. (But I prefer not to concentrate on that. I think it’s much nicer to say “2012 was awesome” than “2012 sucked”.)

Writing wise, 2012 hasn’t been all that productive. I started the year off by editing my old novel, EXCALIBUR, in Project 2012. But, it just didn’t work out for me. I struggled through the editing project until I finally admitted defeat in early August. It wasn’t the way I edited, and I simply had no love for the project. I spent the next couple of months planning a new novel, ROGUE, and started writing in late September. I’m now roughly 40K in.

In that thing called Real Life, I don’t want to go into specifics, but I spent the year feeling unhappy and in a rut. I desperately needed change, and if I didn’t have Germany to look forward to, I would have had to force change, and that would have been messy.

When I moved to Germany, I managed to leave behind the crappiness of 2012 and focus on good things. I met new people, saw new sights, had new experiences. I started on my new novel, and three months and 40K later, I’m still so much in love with it. This is good. I’m slightly behind schedule, but should have the rough draft finished in a about a month and a half (if I knuckle down).

To be honest, the reason I haven’t blogged much this year is because I’m just not feeling the love for it anymore. I no longer enjoy blogging, and each post is a lot of work. If you look through the archives, you’ll see that I haven’t been blogging nearly as much as 2011. Most of 2012’s posts were written because I said “oh, I haven’t posted in X weeks… I should probably write something.”

Perhaps Germany also plays a part. While I was preparing for my trip, I was busy. Now that I’m in Germany, I’m still busy. I don’t always have a lot of time of writing-related activities, so when I do have time, I’d rather use it to write than to talk about writing.

When 2013 finally rolled around, I remembered my blog and I thought long and hard about its future. I thought about shutting it down, but I decided that I didn’t want to do that. I think there will be times when I’ll have things to say that require more than 140 characters. So this blog will stay online, but it’ll definitely be a lot quieter than 2011 and 2012. I’m going to try to make an effort to blog more regularly than once every couple of months. Hopefully that will work out.

Over to you know: how have you been? How is your writing going? What have you been up to lately? Let me know in the comments section!

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I can relate. For a while I was super psyched about blogging, but now it doesn't feel as exciting, yet I'm not quite ready to quit yet. Maybe it has something to do with moving to a different continent? I don't know. :) Anyway, I'll be around to read your posts in the next year, even if they might not be as frequent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad Germany's working out for you! ^^ I totally understand that—the falling out of love with blogging. It became a chore for me, and for a while, I just couldn't think of anything worth posting about. I now have about ten posts planned, so I should be golden until March. =P I'm glad you're not shutting down your blog, though—even if you only post once a month or something, it's good to hear how things are going. =)

    As for your comment questions things…I am fine. My writing is on hold for editing, and my editing is crawling along—but hopefully moving forward. I've basically been rewriting on a line-by-line basis: only a few events are tweaked, but I've had to change lots of things to deepen character, and get rid of ideas that meander + strengthen the ideas that remain. So I'm really really liking what's coming out, but I keep getting stuck and taking forever on just one paragraph. O_o So…I'm hoping to be done with that before February. =)

    ReplyDelete