Friday, 16 November 2012

Fast Progress



I’ve had a busy few weeks. University in Germany is keeping me occupied (sometimes too much), but most of the time I’m able to make time to write each day. The last two weeks have been especially hectic – mid-semester exams, yay! – and there was a long period when I was too burnt out to write.

But for the most part, ROGUE is coming along really well. I’m racing through the story, and should be finished within a few months. I’ve noticed that I seem to be trying something new with my WIP: I’m going so fast.

With my previous projects, I usually plod along trying to make my rough draft as perfect as possible. However, with ROGUE I’m speeding through it, just trying to get the words down as quickly as possible.

I’m not sure if it’s because I’m filled with NaNo spirit, or because I have a deadline to write the rough draft (mid February, when I finish my semester), or because I know that I’ll be rewriting the novel anyway, but I’m writing quickly and not caring if it isn’t perfect. Which I think is awesome. Because no one’s rough drafts are ever perfect. Most probably suck. So I can see now that I shouldn’t spend so much time working on a rough draft, but I should get it on paper quickly so that I can start work on making it better.

What about you? Do you write drafts quickly, or do you spend more time on them to make them better? If you’re doing NaNo, how are you going? Let me know in the comments section!

2 comments:

  1. This is the same thing I'm experiencing with NaNo! I got in the really bad habit of going back over my writing and editing it, and then judging myself. With NaNo, I've forced myself not to do that. I haven't had as much time to work on NaNo as I would have liked -- I'm almost 15,000 words behind, actually -- but I don't mind, because I'm learning the lesson that I went into it for. I'm not behind because I'm afraid to write; I'm behind because I legitimately don't have TIME. Also midterms. :P

    Hopefully I will be able to apply the speed-writing tactic to my other works once NaNo is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's what NaNo is all about: learning to write quickly without editing! "Winning" is just a nice extra! It's a shame that you don't have time to write though =/ I'm going through the same thing at the moment.

      Delete