Wednesday, 10 October 2012

When You Jump in the Deep End, Sometimes You Drown



My writing routine has been, well, pretty crap. I haven’t been writing first thing in the morning as I wanted to because the internet’s just so… pretty. I’m still so busy at the moment, and so I just don’t have time to write during the day. And at night? Ugh. I’m so exhausted, I just want to crash.

Also, I’ve discovered I still have the Curse of the First Action Scene, where pretty much I have way too much trouble trying to write the very first action scene in a novel. It’s taken me over a week to write fifteen hundred words (although I’m pleased to say that I have finally finished it (with a heck of a lot of trouble and “I hate this!”)).

I think another problem is that I’ve committed to too much. My goal is 500 words a day, but it’s just such a struggle. When I do write, I spend ages writing, and I think I’ve smashed the 1K mark for the day, only to realise I’ve written 499 words.

So, I’ve really jumped into the deep end, when really I should start in the shallow end, and ease myself in. I should be starting with 250 words, and then working my way up to 300 words, than 400 hundred. Instead, I’ve drowned in the 500 word target.

How about you? Have you ever committed to something massive in your writing, only to find you can’t do it? Let me know in the comments below!

4 comments:

  1. My problem is that I easily write 500 or more words a day -- but not for the things I *want* to write. I write essays, emails, blogposts, articles online, tweets, statuses, etc. I've never tallied up my word output for the day -- doing that drives me bonkers -- but it must be thousands of words a week.

    Then I try to go crazy on my MS on the weekend, but I'm burned out by that point. Sunday is when I finally get mentally recharged enough to make some measurable progress -- but by then I realize, "CRAP, I have 2 essays due tomorrow."

    I've found 2 things that help. One, treating writing like a break instead of a chore. Save word count for NANOWRIMO and just have fun. Two, I have this nifty trick I call the 3-sentence rule. I don't care how many words I use, how tired I am, or whatever, I get three sentences down. And then I give myself permission to quit. But usually, that gets the wheels turning just enough that I can write more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually try to see writing as a break too, but unfortunately it's an activity that require thinking - not what I want to do after a big day! But I do like your 3-setence rule! I think I'll try it out!

      Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  2. I always do this, in editing, in writing, in EVERYTHING. I set my deep end goal and expect myself to accomplish it right on the first day. Which results in a blank page/little to no progress and a nice serving of epic fail. I think Laura has a good idea in that 3-sentence rule. ^_^ (As you can see, I'm catching up on blog commenting again.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the mistake of thinking that, because I learnt how to swim/write daily in the rough draft of my last WIP, I'd still be able to swim/write daily with this project. I think I need to go back to swim school.

      Delete