Wednesday, 31 October 2012

NaNoNoMore



Late last week (three and a half days ago, to be precise) I had a wonderful seed of an idea appear in my head. It was awesome, and I decided it would be a pretty cool project to do for NaNoWriMo.

But… that seed didn’t grow. I wracked my brain, researched to see if I could find some fertiliser, even put my thoughts to paper… but nothing happened. No ideas formed, the seed didn’t sprout… and so, fourteen hours out from 1 November, I’ve got nothing.

It’s a bit of a shame, really. I was looking forward to doing my first NaNo ever, and being in the northern hemisphere I wasn’t going to be tied down with assignments and exams (I’ll still have a few, but nothing compared to Australia). Yesterday, I contemplated the idea of just writing, and seeing what happens, but I quickly decided against it. I don’t work too well without a plan, and I didn’t want to put my current WIP on hold for a month just to struggle with a half-formed idea that I would shelve come December.

So, yeah. My plans for NaNo are no more. I’ll still be cheering everybody on from the sidelines, and hopefully next year this seed will bloom. I think I might even try a Camp NaNo in… whenever it is. August? July?

My question for you: are you doing NaNo? If not, why not? And if you are, good luck!

2 comments:

  1. First of all, the title of your post made me laugh. XD Second, that's sad. =/ I think I've had a few sputter out like that, but nothing wonderful that I've loved—generally those ideas just got dropped because they weren't that good. Is there a reason you're not going to use your WIP for NaNo? Just curious, since that's what I'm doing. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did consider using my WIP for NaNo, but because I was already 10K+ in, I couldn't officially use it. I guess I have been putting in a bit of an effort to have a high WC each day, so perhaps I am doing my own little unofficial NaNo.

      Delete