Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Guten Tag!



After months of dreaming of, I’m finally in Germany! I touched down in Frankfurt International Airport a bit over a week ago, after a marathon 27 hour flight from Australia. It’s so good to finally be here! Everything is so different, so… European!* One thing I love is that there’s so much history in Europe! On the train I took up from Frankfurt I passed not one, not two, but FIVE different castles, all just chilling in the background. It’s a whole new world after living in a relatively new country such as Australia. My history-buff-nerdiness is going into overdrive!!

(For those of you who didn’t know, I’m a foreign exchange student doing a university semester abroad in Germany.)

The flights went well, and I slept practically non-stop from Singapore. That meant that I got to Germany feeling awake and refreshed, and with no signs of jet-lag. It’s amazing. I’ve settled in nicely into my dorm room, and I’m fast learning how to be independent! I just wish I had more of a kitchen – it’s too small to make anything more than 5 Minute Noodles**. (I tried making pasta the other night. Horrible. (The cooking process, not the actual food.))

In the writing field, I’ve finally started writing ROGUE! It’s wonderful to finally start writing this project after so many months in the planning stages. I realised that I’m writing new words for the first time this year! Up until now I’ve either been editing or planning, so it’s an awesome feeling to be writing again! So far I’m about 2K into it, right where the protagonist gets dropped into hot water, and the word count is climbing every day!

So that’s all from me today! I haven’t yet caught up on everyone’s blogs, so for the comments: how have you been? What have you been up to in the last few weeks? How is your writing going? Let me know in the comments!


* I’m honestly speechless.
** Like 2 Minute Noodles, but take 5 minutes to prepare.

8 comments:

  1. That's so cool that you're finally there! Also nice that you slept on the flight... Germany sounds awesome. So, do you knowo any German?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only know a little bit of German (like a few phrases), but I'll be taking German lessons. My German, however, has improved dramatically since I've been here though!

      Delete
  2. Wow! I didn't know you were a foreign exchange student! I mean, I knew you were going to Germany, but I actually didn't know why. SO cool! I've actually been considering doing a 4-week summer mini-semester thingy at a university in South Korea. A perfect excuse to go there AND be productive. XD Not sure if that'll happen yet, though.

    BUT CASTLES. EUROPOE. So awesome!! I hope you enjoy every moment in Germany, and that you have lots of writerly inspiration and success. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny because I didn't think of myself as a foreign exchange student until I even got here! You should definitely do a min-semester thingy in SK - it'd be such an experience!!

      Delete
  3. I HAVE EMERGED FROM REVISIONS. I CAN NOW COMMENT ON ALL THE BLOGS. I've literally had this post open in a tab, waiting for me to comment, for almost two weeks. Yes, that's since you posted it. XD

    Glad you made it to Germany in one piece! …Two weeks ago. That sounds amazing. As someone living in Alaska, the visible history here only goes back about fifty years, at most, so being in a place with that kind of richness all around…CASTLES. O_O

    Good luck with ROGUE! I'm quite familiar with all the planning and editing and no writing, so I very much understand the amazingness of being able to write again. =) I will get to start writing this week, and up until I hear back from my crit partner on revisions, and then I will do more writing while I query! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why does history in Alaska only go back fifty years? I would have thought it would have gone back at least a couple hundred years!

      Delete
    2. Well, native culture is certainly thousands of years old, but Anchorage is the 'big' city, so it's all (relatively) new infrastructure. I bet going to a village, or even Juneau(they have totem poles!), would be different. =)

      Delete