Friday, 20 July 2012

They Must Fall to Rise

I saw the midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises the other night. It was awesome (although I’m still undecided as to whether I like The Dark Knight better). I watched the first two films in the hours leading up to midnight, and watching the entire trilogy back-to-back got me thinking about one key lesson we can take away from the latest Batman films:

Heroes have to fall before they can rise.

I saw this in the final movie, but also in the trilogy as a whole. Our heroes have to be defeated over and over again, until it seems impossible for them to get up again and win. I won’t spoil The Dark Knight Rises, but The Dark Knight ends with Batman taking the fall for Harvey Dent/Two-Face, and all seems lost. What will he do when the entire city hates him? But, he manages to rise up and save Gotham in the final film.

I think the fact that Batman fails so many times makes his victory even more triumphant: we’ve seen him lose, and we’ve felt his pain and despair, so when he finally defeats the antagonists, we can pumps our fists in the air because he’s done it! By failing, we’ve seen that Batman isn’t some invincible hero who can do anything. In my opinion, this makes our masked crusader more relatable because he fails, just like the rest of us.

So, what are your thoughts? Do your heroes fall before they save the day in your novel? And, have you seen The Dark Knight Rises yet? If so, what did you think? If not, do you plan on seeing it soon? Let me know in the comments section!

2 comments:

  1. Exactly right! I LOVE failure. XD Aaand…I do believe I've had my heroes fall before they save the day. Several times. ^_^

    As for TDKR, I'm planning on seeing it soonish. As soon as my MS is polished. I'm actually half done with line-edity stuff! It's exciting. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well finish your line-editing quickly, because TDKR is an awesome movie! :D

      Delete