Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Project 2012: June Update

Not to sound like a broken record player, but once again, June was a pitiful month, writing wise. I dropped the ball in May, and didn’t even bother picking it up at all during the last month. Still, we’re entering the third quarter of the year (*gulp*), which means Project 2012 is now focusing on the nitty-gritty: each individual sentence and word. I’m hoping that a new quarter and a new focus will mean a fresh start.

It really sucks not being on fire for EXCALIBUR. I really want to love this story, but I’m just not in love anymore. I suppose I probably knew that, but hoped Project 2012 could revive my passion for it. (But, as of Monday, I seem to be getting an itsy-bitsy bit of a spark editing. Maybe it is working.)

I started out the novel with loads of passion. All my projects do. When I started the rough draft over a year ago, EXCALIBUR was The One. I had such big dreams for it – not only would it get me published, but it would also accelerate me to Bestselling Author status, complete with screaming fans. I feel the same way with my other WIPs. But then, somewhere along the way, the enthusiasm wore off. Suddenly, it was only “okay” by the time I had a complete rough draft, and when it came time to revising the WIP, my feelings for it had dropped to “not worth it”.

So, I guess I’ve finally come to the conscious realisation that EXCALIBUR is no good. I’ve lost all my passion for it, and I really don’t think it’s worth revising. It’ll certainly take more time and energy than I’m prepared to devote to get it to publishable standard.

That said, I’m not giving up on Project 2012. I’m still going to work on EXCALIBUR, because I want to practice revising. I want to figure out what works for me and what doesn’t.

On another note, there are plans for another ‘100 Words for 100 Days’ challenge, and I’m thinking about giving it another go. I’m not sure if I’ll start a new WIP (I’ve found the outline for a novella I could work on), or if I’ll modify the challenge to suit editing. ’10 Minutes for 100 Days’, perhaps?

2 comments:

  1. Aww, that sucks. I hate it when the passion dies. =/ I'll be a screaming fan! *screams* XD I hope this month goes better for you! =)

    ReplyDelete