Friday, 11 May 2012

Reading or Writing?

“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”
            ~ Stephen King

I’m really busy at the moment, with assignments, tests, and presentations, so for the past few weeks the only major down time I get is half an hour before I go to bed so I can read for a bit. I always make time to read every day because of the Stephen King quote (above) on the importance of reading. I see it as sharpening the tools for writing.

The other day, I was musing on how busy I was, and how little I got to write these days. If only I had time… but all my spare time is spent reading. So that got me thinking: what’s more important – reading or writing?

I know I’m fence sitting, but I really think there are two answers: reading and writing. Both are important for different reasons.

Reading’s important because it gives us the tools to write. Reading daily allows me to sharpen those tools. But what’s the use of sharpening the tools if I never get to use them?

I really want your thoughts on this? What do you think is more important? Reading or writing? If I only get a little bit of spare time each day, how should I use it? Sharpening the tools, or actually using them? Or do you think I should make time to read and write? Leave your thoughts in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. I'm a terrible model, because I do NOT do both of these (or even either, some days >.>) daily, but I think that you should make time for both. And if you can't do that, take turns. Write one day, read the next. Good question, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think taking turns is a good idea. Unfortunately, I'm so used to reading every day I'd feel guilty if I didn't (even it that's because I was writing)!

      Delete