Wednesday, 4 April 2012

What it Takes

Following on from Monday’s post (where I reported I had achieved barely anything in March), I wanted to post about what it takes to be a writer.

I make it no secret that I dislike editing. I would love to just write rough draft after rough draft. I’d be happy. But I’d be even happier if I were a published author.

Achieving published author status isn’t easy. Writing isn’t easy. Anyone who tries to tell you that needs to be punched in the face. Writing is so much hard work, and once you have a finished novel and you’re trying to get an agent, it’s only going to get harder. I don’t know this first hand, but I think any writer worth their salt knows this already.

I saw a quote that I liked a few weeks ago. I can’t remember it word for word anymore, but I’ve got a general idea. So, to paraphrase:

Dreams don’t come true for those who wait. Dreams come true for those who get off their butts and work for it.

I think that’s really important for writers: you won’t get published if you wait. You’ll only get published if you really work for it. That’s why I edit. Because I really want to be a published author, and I think it’s worth all the time and effort I put into editing.

Early last week, Maggie mentioned in a blog post that for success, you need positivity, will power, time, energy, and perseverance. I think she’s totally right. In my opinion, the key ingredient is perseverance. Sure, you can make time to write, actually write, and stay positive about it, but if you don’t stick with it, you’re never going to get anywhere.

I guess what I’m trying to say (if you cut through my babbling) is that writing is hard work. But if you have what it takes and you stick with it, put in the effort, and do the stuff that feels like work, eventually you’ll be able to call yourself a published author.

Now, for the comments: what are your thoughts? Do you agree with me, or am I a raving lunatic who got hold of a keyboard? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Lol, I know a lot of people who need to be punched in the face. Mainly ignorant members of my extended family, + brother. ^_^

    And I am in full agreement. I'm reminded of the quote, "Hard work beats talent that doesn't work hard." Hard work is always required! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda: I really like that quote! Thanks for commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete