Wednesday, 18 April 2012

That Awkward Moment When No One Loves You

No, this post isn’t about me. I swear. Everyone loves Matthew.

This is about my characters in the Untitled YA Fantasy Idea. Particularly the female MC. She’s smart, funny, pretty, and she’s a princess. Her father is murdered in the beginning of the novel, so once she’s finished the adventure she becomes queen.

There are two other MCs and they’re both boys. One’s a fisherman, while the other is a petty thief. All three of the MCs are going to become pretty good friends and I want to develop a romance (because all good novels need a romantic subplot).

The only problem is, I can’t figure out which lucky MC gets to date the princess. Both have pretty good reasons not to be the love interest, which leaves me with a very unlucky princess. So, should I force a romance, or just write the story and see where it goes? Or do I create a secondary character to hook up with the princess? Maybe a prince in a neighbouring kingdom? What are your thoughts?

And tell me, have you ever tried to force a romance before? Did the characters eventually cooperate, or was there a divorce before page 300? Let me know your thoughts in the comments!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Coincidence much? My WIP is about a princess with murdered parents, too!

    Anyway. You DEFINITELY shouldn't force anything into your novel. Not every great YA has a romantic subplot, and just because that's the trend right now doesn't mean you should feel pressured to write it. My agent once mentioned that a certain part of my MS felt oddly forced, and I realized that I was writing what I wanted to happen, instead of letting my characters decide--after all, it's their story.

    But that's just my meager two cents. Hope it helped a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahaha…poor Princess. Forever alone! XP I agree with Dreamer—let them decide. They might surprise you! I had a character I intended to go solo, and he ended up falling in love with a character I'd thrown in on a whim, so she became much more important to the story. Actually, that's happened twice now. O_o Those youngsters…they just like getting attached to people and dragging them into the story proper. ^_~*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dreamer: Thanks for stopping by! You're right, not all novels need a romance, but I think that, given how close my characters are going to get, there should be some love in there somewhere!

    Amanda: Hahaha! Pesky characters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snap, I've totally fallen behind on commenting SHAME ON ME.

    Anyway. You should let them decide. Stories can be great with AND without romance. ^_^ Also, this story just sounds more and more awesome with each passing comment I see about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Constance: *beams* I'm glad you think so! This has made my day :D

    ReplyDelete