Friday, 27 April 2012

Companions


Natalie Whipple posted on goldfish the other day, and I thought it was a pretty interesting topic. I have goldfish too, two of them who swim around in a tank on my desk. One is orange and used to have black tips on his tail, and a little black smudge on his face that looked like a moustache. The other little guy is white with a gigantic red spot on his head. They’re pretty cute.
                         
They don’t really have names because I’ve gone through so many goldfish. …That kinda makes me sound like a goldfish serial killer, doesn’t it? Don’t worry, I’m not. I want to point out that I’ve had so many because I’ve kept fish for years, and although Natalie pointed out that they can live for up to ten years, my fish don’t live quite that long.

But as short as their lifespans may be, I become quite attached to them. They make good writing companions: they don’t think I’m crazy when I talk to them about writing, and they always come up with good advice when I find a plot hole… at least, I’m sure they do. I haven’t mastered goldfish language yet.

What about you? Do you have any writing companions? Are they fluffy, furry, or feathery? Or are they scaly, or even slimy? O.o Let me know in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. My writing companions are the mites in my eyelashes. XP More seriously, I don't really have a writing companion. My cat Hobbes sometimes curls up nearby, but he doesn't make very good conversation, lol. I have Renée for that. ^_^ SHE'S my writing companion! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A writing companion that talks back is pretty cool!

      Delete
  2. I have a dog that sits in my room, sorta becoming a second rug. But even though he is here, I don't talk to him about writing. Everything else, but not writing. Huh. Other than that, no. I talk to my writing people about writing, and sometimes my mommy.
    Also, I am not crazy about goldfish...I'm sorry, Matt. They're just so...*boring*. They don't do anything but sit there, ever. And I can't look at them about be all, "Aaaw, you look so sad!" like I do with my dog(he is one of those perpetually sad-eyes dogs) because they just aren't big enough for me to see if they look sad. I dunno. Fish aren't really my thing. *shrugs* BUT I am glad you like them! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can usually tell when my fish look sad. Most of the time they're just hungry. Sometimes I wish I could do more things with them... but somehow I just don't think they'd like going on walks...

      Delete