Friday, 9 March 2012

Making Time

I’m three weeks back into university life, and I’m already feeling on overload. (Like seriously, since when have classes all decided to hold exams in week four? Since when have big assignments been due in week five?) I have to admit that, amongst it all, writing’s kinda been forgotten. As in, I haven’t opened my WIP’s word document in over a week.

So today’s post is on making time for writing. It’s for my benefit as well as yours, because, well, I really need a kick up the pants.

Make it a commitment: When we’re super busy, what are the things that get done? The things that have to get done. So that means that anything that isn’t vital will get pushed aside. When I’ve got a million assignments to do, writing will (unfortunately) get pushed down to the bottom of the To Do List. But if we make writing a commitment and decide that we have to get some writing time in, then we’ll be more likely to stick to that commitment.

Take a break: Unless you’re stressing out over how it could be plausible for Joe to decide to go on a road trip to Mexico, writing should generally be fun. So take advantage of that. If you take regular breaks between your work, try to write instead of stalking Fantasy Agent on Twitter, surfing blogs. Believe me, all that time on Blogger, Twitter, and Facebook all adds up.

So that’s two ways to make time for writing. Do you have anything else to add? Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you, with classes taking over writing time. Luckily, my Spring Break just started, so I have a week in which to put off my trig homework and paper and get substantial work done! …I hope.

    Also, I awarded you the Kreativ Blogger Award! Just because you obviously needed something else on your to-do list. XD I actually touched on my time-wasting rather than time-making abilities in my Kreativ list of ten facts. So definitely don't feel obligated to accept the award, but it is a good filler blog post if you can't think of anything to post about, so…the choice is yours. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda: Thank you! I'll definitely be posting on the award!

    ReplyDelete