Wednesday, 28 March 2012

The Hunger Games

I finally* saw The Hunger Games a few nights ago. Simply put: I loved it.

I’m proud to say that I’m a “real” Hunger Games fan: I read the book before it was cool way back in 2010**. I loved the book too. I couldn’t put it down. I mean, I read it in less than two days. Two days! Back in 2010 I was reading books in about a week, but even to this day, a book in two days is pretty good for me.

Yet, as much as I loved The Hunger Games, I never did get around to reading Catching Fire and Mockingjay. They’ve been on my To Read list for years, but they’ve never progressed to my TBR pile. That said, once I’ve finished reading a series I’m in the middle of, the entire Hunger Games trilogy will cut to the front of the line and I’ll finally be able to find out what happens once Katniss screws the Capitol. *excited*

The only faults I could find with the movie were the portrayals of Peeta and Gale. In my head, Peeta was a bit… I dunno, chubbier, I guess? I always imagined him with a dopey expression as well. And I always pictured Gale to be skinnier. Leaner, I guess is a better word. In the movies they were pretty muscular. But as I said, it’s been a while since I’ve read the book, so maybe my memory’s distorted the image I had for the two guys.

Two final thoughts: Primrose was a massive whiner/cry baby and I couldn’t stand her. Surely she wasn't that much of a whinger in the books? And finally, am I the only one who thought Effie Trinket was like a cross between Professor Umbridge and the Mad Hatter (portrayed by Jonny Depp)?

So, tell me your thoughts. Have you seen The Hunger Games yet? If you have, did you love it? If you haven’t seen it yet… why not? Let me know in the comments!

* Isn’t it weird how I said “finally”, when the movie only came out a week ago. I saw it four days after its release, but in the writing world I was one of the last…

** Many writers and readers had probably already read the book by then, but everyone else probably only started reading the books earlier this year.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the movie, minus the parts with the mutts. I must say I liked Prim, though, as you put it, she was a massive whiner.
    I really liked Effie Trinket and Haymitch, though. They both made me laugh at the things they said, especially when Effie said, "That's MAHOGANY!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't actually seen it yet, and won't until this weekend...maybe...I hope. I'm kind of moving right now, so things are a bit crazy.

    But I have seen who they cast as Peeta and Gale, and I agree with you 100%—that's how I pictured them, too, lol. I'm hoping the actors are good enough at acting that I can ignore the discrepancies. And I also agree about Effie, from the clips I've seen. Lots of Umbridge+Mad Hatter vibes. Anyway, with such rave reviews overall, I'm extremely excited to see it! *can't wait for the weekend* ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man oh man I LOVED THE HUNGER GAMES! =D I agree about Prim––book Prim was not as whiny. And Effie? Yeah, I sorta agree, about the Umbridge part. Even in the books she reminded me of Umbridge + Rita Skeeter. She was brilliant, though. ^_^

    I pictured Peeta pretty much like that. But I did imagine Gale as leaner, too. *shakes fist at casting* But they are great actors, so I will let it pass.

    I was immensely pleased with the end result of the movie. So many quote-worthy moments. I was one of the few in the theater even reacting––probably because (like you) I was one of the few REAL fans. *read it in 2008* :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danaka: The part about the mutts threw me off: it seemed the Capitol just made them appear out of thin air. Thanks for reading!

    Amanda: I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Peeta and Gale should have different! As for their acting skills, I didn't pay particular attention to their skills, but I thought they were fine. Enjoy the movie :)

    Constance: All through the movie I was nudging my brother: "ooh, this is a good part..." "This bit's so funny... wait for it... HA!" Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete