Monday, 13 February 2012

A Quick Update

So, it’s been a while between posts, hasn’t it? A mean, it’s nearly mid-February already. What the?

I’ve been super busy this past week. Okay, who am I kidding? I’ve been super busy for ages*. I’ve been working heaps over the Christmas period**, and then one girl quit meaning I got even more work. I’m kinda exhausted.

The editing front has slowed down almost to a complete halt. Writing has slowed down to a complete halt. I grew bored of my current project and haven’t had anything I wanted to work on. So now I’ve decided to quit wasting time and start writing my Untitled YA Fantasy Idea! I’ve already been working on it a lot over the past few weeks… but now I can actually start putting my thoughts about the characters and the world onto paper.

In other fantasy-related news, I’ve finished reading Paolini’s Inheritance Cycle, which I enjoyed. It has made me realise how much I’ve neglected the fantasy genre. So now I’m on the prowl for more YA fantasy.

So, that’s my quick update. For the comments, let me know what you’ve been up to in the past few weeks. And I want to know: what are some good YA fantasy novels to read?


* By “ages” I mean three or four weeks.
** I’m an Australian uni student. Christmas period is mid-November to mid-February.

6 comments:

  1. Yay for fantasy! I'm sorry you've had so much work and such, though. =/

    Tamora Pierce has some decent YA fantasy. So does Cinda Williams Chima. Nothing phenomenal, but not bad, either. (I'll admit I'm partial to Chima because she was the first Real Author I ever talked to. xD)
    ...I don't actually know that many *YA* fantasy authors... O_o I have a good long list of authors for you in the email, when I reply...hopefully soon... *cough* xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not alone in the blog silence, haha—I accidentally just went 12 days without posting, though two of those days are blogger's fault(the scheduled post didn't post. =/)

    Hmm…YA fantasy…Garth Nix! Especially the Abhorsen Trilogy. I greatly enjoyed the Wind On Fire Trilogy by William Nicholson, though the first book is more MG than YA. Rick Riordan does YA urban fantasy, but I loved the Percy Jackson series too much to not mention it, lol. I also really like the Ranger's Apprentice series, though it's really more pseudo-medieval historical than fantasy…idk, it reads like a fantasy, even though there isn't really magic or anything like that.

    I feel like I know a lot more authors than I'm remembering right now…Kristin Cashore is one. Umm…yeah, that's all I've got for now, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MEGAN WHALEN TURNER. ^_^ I remembered. I think she was the one I tried to recall and couldn't. There. My list is complete. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Amanda, why didn't I remember ANY of those??? *facepalm* I've read most of them and they didn't even occur to me, and they're all epic. I am a FAILURE. *weeps* :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your suggestions! They all sound good, but I particularly love Megan Whalen Turner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, fantasy! (I'm reading these posts backwards, so I feel like I'm too late to give you recommendations.)

    I would recommend Patricia McKillip -- my favorite of her novels (and possibly my favorite fantasy ever) is Riddle Master of Hed. I also loved Alphabet of Thorn. Robin McKinley is good; lots of fantasy there. Also, methinks you should read at least one of Terry Brooks' novels so you know what NOT to do. XD Actually, you should use the Inheritance books as a guide of what not to do, too, even though you enjoyed them. XD

    Another good 'ole fantasy book is "Paksenarrion" by Elizabeth Moon. I really enjoyed all 2/3 that I read of it (HA! It got a bit meandery...) because she's so knowledgeable when it comes to battles and armies and such. It was so realistic and such a learning experience. I loved it.

    Hope your work load is lighter now, and that you enjoy writing and reading fantasy! :D

    ReplyDelete