Friday, 13 January 2012

Thoughts

So… nearly halfway through January, and this is only my second post of the year… I’ve been pretty busy these past few weeks, but I thought I’d share what’s been on my mind lately:

Eragon: I’m loving the Inheritance Cycle. I got Paolini’s latest book, Inheritance, for Christmas, and I’ve been rereading the first three since a few days after Christmas. I’ve finished Eragon and I’m nearly two-thirds of the way through Eldest. I’ve been shown the light regarding Paolini’s poor writing skills (which I had never really seen before) and now I’m seeing examples of bad writing everywhere. That said, I’ve been sucked right into Eragon’s world, and I’m blazing through Eldest as fast as I can.

Editing: I’m off to a good start with Project 2012. I’m doing the initial read through, but this time I’ve got a handy spread sheet for keeping track of events in my WIP. I’m hoping to pick up the pace though; at this rate it’ll take me a little under six weeks just to read the manuscript!  I’m hoping to get a good session in soon!

New story idea! My next story is supposed to be a rewrite of POSEIDON’S TRIDENT, but for the past couple of weeks I’ve had this idea for a fantasy trilogy resurface and demand attention. It’s not because of Eragon – it’s actually the other way round. I’m reading the Inheritance Cycle now (instead of after all the other books I got for Christmas) because I’m excited about fantasy at the moment! I’m not going to say too much about the idea for now, but it features a fisherman, a princess, a thief, murder, and an exiled knight after revenge. *excited*

Your turn now! What things are swirling around in your head at the moment? What books are you reading now or excited about? Let me know in the comments!

7 comments:

  1. Just finished Dauntless by Jack Campbell, which was pretty good. Plotting madly for the new novel, and re-plotting madly for the revision project :) Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually do still like Eragon and Eldest, mostly for fond memories' sake, but also because the story doesn't get completely run off the rails until Brisingr and Inheritance. Renée's reading aloud some of the things in Inheritance, and the majority of the time it's like why? Lots of unnecessary stuff. It's frustrating, when it could have been decent. =/ ANYWAY.

    Good luck with editing, and this fantasy idea sounds mysterious as well as exciting. =) I'm all for more fantasy, lol.

    Hmm…the novel idea I came up with a couple weeks ago is still running around in my head, even though I won't be able to get to it until July at the earliest. It's the Village of Daughters, Village of Sons thing, in my Blog's project tab, if you're curious. I'm rereading Wither by Lauren Destefano and reading Across the Great Barrier by Patricia C. Wrede, which is really strange and written in a style that's pretty much all telling, but…surprisingly good. Not as good as Thirteenth Child(book 1), thus far, but not bad. =)

    Again, good luck with editing, and with your new novel idea! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE fantasy!! I'm totally intrigued. Fisherman? Princess? Knight seeking revenge? I'm THERE. Good luck with this project!

    And I agree with Amanda. I do have semi-fond memories of reading Eldest (not so much Eragon), but I was too ticked by the Tolkien copying to ever want to read it again. This may be a ridiculous question, but have you read LOTR?

    Anyway! I'm in the same boat with the non-bloggage this year. I'd better work on that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merrilee: Plotting is one of my favourite parts of the writing process, so it *does* sound like fun!

    Amanda: It's been so long since I've read Brisingr, I can't even remember what happens in it! It'll be interesting to read it now, with more of a writer's mind.

    Maggie: I'm intrigued about my new idea too! I can't wait to write it! And I have read LOTR, but that was... about 5 years ago?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love and hate Eragon. I'm planning on reading Inheritance simply because I can't stand not finishing the series after having invested so much time in the previous books(I think I reread Eldest 19 times when I was 12 or so).

    I have...not been writing as much as I should. It's awful, awful, AWFUL. I need more motivation than I have at the moment, and I'm not sure how to go about procuring it.

    I've blogged this year! Twice. I think. I'd really have to check. As soon as I get some pictures from the Alaskan twins, I'll be doing another post, but no plans 'til then.

    I'm super happy you've gotten yourself a lovely fantasy idea. =D *super excited for you*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Constance: If you figure out how to get some more motivation, let me know!

    I'm super happy about my fantasy idea too! I really can't wait to start it and I've decided that if I can get my editing on track and learn to write without it taking over my editing I might start working on the idea later this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol, I totally will. xD

    I hope you do!! Good luck. :D

    ReplyDelete