Monday, 30 January 2012

Project 2012: January Update

I’ve been talking about Project 2012 in pretty much all of my few posts this month, but I thought it’d be nice to give a nice summary of the month’s progress. Okay, that and I didn’t have anything else to post about.

Originally, I wasn’t going to do Project 2012, mainly because I didn’t want to begin editing so soon after finishing EXCALIBUR (which I finished in mid-November). At the very last minute I decided that I could use the extra accountability and decided to give it a go.

Throughout January, the participants have been reading through their manuscripts, and I’m just about finished reading through mine. There are a few minor things in each chapter which need fixing, and only a handful of chapter which will need a rewrite. So overall, I’m quite happy with how EXCALIBUR turned out.

The only thing that concerns me is the lack of a character arc for the protagonist, Lily. I’ll probably have to examine it a bit better but I feel that the arc is complete within the first quarter of the novel. I also envisaged a growing romance between her and the sidekick, but that romance hasn’t really grown naturally. It seems kinda… bumpy, if that makes any sense.

I’m also testing out writing-while-editing, and so far I’m doing well. I’ve only been doing it for about a week but I’m not getting distracted… yet.

So I’ve got lots to do in February. A few chapter rewrites, a character arc to develop, and a romance which needs help. How’s your February looking? Let me know in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're doing good so far. :)

    Ah, romances that don't want to bloom. Those are always...fun?

    My February is FABULOUS. Or...it will be? Friday the 3rd is my 17th birthday, and I am ridiculously excited, even though I'm not doing anything new. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blogger account keeps eating my replies...!

    Anyway, well done and push on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Constance: Really?! Well, happy birthday! :D

    Merrilee: That's no good. I've checked the spam folder, but there's nothing there... Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like fun! XD

    As for my February, it's looking like the month of my 19th birthday(not til the end though…), and hopefully the month I finish editing/get a polished version of my MS to my beta readers. Because I'm very impatient to get this show on the road, and I'd really like to have a polished MS for my birthday. Then I'll have a hobbit birthday, where I'll give everyone my MS instead of receiving gifts! =P I also hope to get some writing done this month, since I did basically none last. Aaand…that's about it. =)

    ReplyDelete