Friday, 2 December 2011

My Week

Wow. It’s December.

DECEMBER.

I’m kind of in denial that the end of the year is already upon us. Like, wasn’t it only November a few days ago? (Haha. Ha. Ha…) This year has just gone by so fast, it’s ridiculous!

I’ve been so busy these last few weeks (especially this week in particular), and I don’t even know why. I feel like a have hardly any spare time, and what spare time I do have is spent lazing around doing nothing.

And I’m so tired too! All. The. Time. I don’t know why – I’m not going to bed late, and I’m getting up at the same time as usual. I think I need to hibernate.

My writing… well, editing has hit a brick wall this week. I’ve tried to edit a little bit each day, but so far I’ve only had one session. I think that, instead of waiting for some spare time, I need to make time. I have to tell myself that I may be busy, but I’m not too busy to spend at least half an hour a day with my short story.

That’s all I have to say today. I’m probably going to be busy right up to Christmas, but I’m going to make an effort to keep up with blogging and the online world (you may have noticed my absence this week). Have a great weekend!

For the comments, do you have any tips for editing? Let me know!

6 comments:

  1. Hmm…tips for editing…. The main thing I can think of is just reading it out loud. As the writer, I tend to think that my writing sound on the paper as it sound in my head, but sometimes reality and what's in my head diverge, so reading it out loud adds an extra step to catch those slips. =) I tend to do just a run-through edit, where I fix everything I see in that manner, then I go over it several more times with certain aspects in mind for each lap, things I know I need to work on, like description/setting type stuff. The last run-through should be looking for the sentences you call good/are particularly proud of, and see if you can make them even better. Of course, I usually have outside help, a la Renée, but when I'm working on something by myself, that's my method. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, this year has been so fast! It's insane. O_o

    Tips for editing…tips for editing…. That's a tough one—there are so many articles! =D I posted a thread on WriteOn!'s forum in the Writing Tools section called "Editing Gems – Reference", which lists a bunch of articles I've found immeasurably helpful. They've basically gotten me to where I am today. =)

    And, like Amanda said, the key is to read everything out loud, all together. Even sentences that sound good on paper or by themselves can sound off aloud, and that's the true test of writing that reads well.

    Also, I've tried to maintain a list of events as I go, noting when and how certain elements are introduced to aid consistency, but I usually give up on that a couple pages in. XD It's a good idea, though, and I know professional editors use this technique. Other than that, my advice is…keep on keepin' on! ^_~*

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year has been crazy fast, definitely. *sigh*

    I have no tips for editing, but I have sympathy for where you are at! Or...I will soon. I start my own edits in a week or so. When I do, would you like me to tweet you every day, like you did me when you were writing? We can make sure we are both editing every day like we should be, that way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda: Lots of tips! Yay! You're very lucky to have Renee as a sister - it'd make the editing process so much easier!

    Renee: I completely forgot about the thread you set up! I must look at it tonight!

    Constance: That sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, I don't believe it's already December as well. I was just thinking that the other day. Tips for editing. Hmmm. Just do it?? :) Was that helpful. No, but seriously, you're right. Unless you make the time, it doesn't happen. For me, I'll be editing and then I'll come to a part that needs to be edited a little more extensively and I'll say, 'I'll do that later.' And start to move on. I have to force myself to stop and do it now. Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kasie: Sadly, as I found out tonight, making time isn't enough for me. I put aside the entire night for editing... and got about 30 minutes of work done. I think I may have to kill the internet...

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete