Monday, 28 November 2011

Confucius Says

A few days ago I was looking at a few quotes from Confucius, a thinker and social philosopher* from ancient China. Confucius said some pretty interesting things, and as I was reading through them, I realised a lot of what he says could apply to writing. The following quotes are all from the Goodreads website.

“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”
This is my favourite Confucius quote, and I think of it regularly. If you enjoy your job, then it’s not really “work”, is it? When it comes to writing, remembering this quote spurs me on to work harder. If I can eventually get published, and earn enough to live off of royalties, then… success!

“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
The world of publishing is tough, and it’s easy to fall over and never get back up again. I mean, why would you get up again if you thought that all you were going to get was another stinging rejection? But if we continue to keep going after every rejection and harsh critique, eventually we’ll get there. Stephen King was rejected 30 times before his first novel was published, and Harry Potter was turned down 9 times. But, King and Rowling persisted, and eventually made it to where they are today.

“It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.”
It doesn’t matter if you write 1,000 words a day, or only 100. As long as we write consistently every day, we’re making progress and growing as writers. This is important to do.


“No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.”
Even Confucius knew it. Reading is important.

 
* Thank you Wikipedia.

4 comments:

  1. I *LOVE* the last one. xD I mean, I love them all, but the last one is greatness wrapped in pretty words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Constance: I'm glad you love it :) I always make time for reading, even if it's just a few pages before I go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Confucious said: "Isn't it a pleasure when you can make practical use of the things you have studied? Isn't it a pleasure to have an old friend visit from afar? Isn't it the sure sign of a gentleman, that he does not take offense when others fail to recognize his ability?"

    We had to memorize that quote in the first year of high school, and I still remembered most of it, haha. I love how Confucius' words can be so practically applied to writing. Especially that first one—that's what I truly believe. Why waste your life doing something you don't love? We only live here once, so might as well spend that time doing something worthwhile to you. Great post! =)

    btw, my word verification is 'proof'. It's so…apropos, lol. I have provided proof that I am not a robot through my word verification. XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda: Oooh, another awesome Confucius quote!

    ReplyDelete