Monday, 24 October 2011

Writing Update

As I posted last week, I had been having some trouble keeping accountable with my writing, and I had stopped writing daily. I’m happy to announce that with Maggie’s help, I’ve gotten back into the rhythm.

I’m now writing 500+ words again each day, and most exciting of all is that I should be finished my WIP by Christmas! I played around with some figures, and determined that if I write 500 words every day I should have the novel written by 10 December (but this is assuming I don’t write a word over 78K, which is unlikely). So, yeah, a complete rough draft by Christmas, all ready to edit after New Year’s!

This means that I will have written my WIP in seven months – my quickest yet. It’s interesting that each novel I work on is longer than the last, word count wise, but also written quicker.

Onto my short story, HIT AND RUN, I started editing, but it’s been on hold since… well, since I started! I’m hoping to get back to it, but I have to remember that my WIP has top priority. I can edit the short story over the Christmas period.

So, for the comments: how is your writing going? Nearly finished, or just starting? Or, if you’re doing NaNo, have you finished planning yet? Let me know!

4 comments:

  1. I'm just polishing. Editing is done, which is a relief! But polishing seems just as extensive, in some places, but with the nitpicked details. It's terribly meticulous work, but I keep myself entertained by changing the font from Times New Roman to Cochin as I finish little sections. *easily amused* Also, I can feel the writing getting better as I smooth it all out, and that's pretty gratifying--enough to keep me working on it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like a terrible person. I promised I'd help too, and then I promptly forgot. O_O I need one of those iPhones with the Siri app so I can make notes faster and then not forget. Anyway. *shamed*

    I'm glad it's going so fabulously for you!

    I'm still getting ready for NaNo. I've been busy knitting (read: lazy) so I haven't worked on my subplots/character development/etc, but I did finally figure out a pretty big world building point that's been giving me trouble. :) 7 days till NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda: It's a great feeling to see your writing get better :) Have fun!

    Constance: I've been including Maggie in my word count tweets - I can do the same for you, if you like. The more people to keep me accountable, the better!

    ReplyDelete