Wednesday, 19 October 2011

Why Writers are Like Entrepreneurs

I recently wrote an assignment on entrepreneurs, and included in the report was some characteristics of entrepreneurs. Thinking about it, I realised that these characteristics could fit writers as well.

Innovation: Innovation is coming up with a new idea to a problem – something that’s never been thought of before. In writing, there are only a certain number of ideas, and everyone keeps rewriting them. But notice how there isn’t Star Wars, Space Wars, and Star Battles? Writers are innovative, and that means we can come up with new perspectives to the same ideas. I mean, Eragon is virtually Star Wars with dragons. Genius.

Creativity: Last week I blogged about how I felt uncreative. But after reading everyone’s comments, I’ve realised that you can be analytical and creative. With the comments in mind, I’ve also realised that, despite what the tests say, I must even a little be creative. How else do I explain all the stuff I make up in my head?

Risking Taking: There’s a lot of risk taking for entrepreneurs with starting up a new business or idea. It’s the same with writers. Some people are fast writers, but it takes me a few years to get a rough draft down, and I’m guessing a lot of writers are in the same boat as me. It takes a lot of time to write a novel, and it’s a big risk. What if you change your mind halfway through? What if no one else likes it? What if you get 742 rejections from agents? That’s a lot of time to throw away. If writers aren’t risk takers, how would they take the risk of writing a novel that won’t get anywhere?

Will to Act: As I said in the point above, it takes a lot of time to write a novel. Who has a few years to dedicate to a book? (If you’re reading this, and you’ve made it this far down, then you’re probably a writer… so ‘you’ would be the answer to the question.) A lot of people want to write a novel, and they say that there’s a novel inside everyone, but not many people actually write it. It takes a will to act to sit down and write, not just think.

Do you agree? Why or why not? What else do you think should have been added to the list? Let me know in the comments section!

4 comments:

  1. Haha, I saw the title of your post in the forum, and my first thoughts were 'This is going to be good,' and 'Now that I'm thinking about it, writers ARE entrepreneurs!' And hey, I just spelled 'entrepreneur' right the first time.(without looking at the post title directly beforehand, lol.)

    Anyway--the actual post! I always thought that Eragon was a Lord of the Rings knock-off, but I can see the Star Wars + dragons thing now. With the whole 'Luke, I am your father' thing. *nods* And I'd agree that writing is very risky--a ginormous dedication of time you're never going to get back, with no guarantee it will pay out. Charming! XD

    And will to act is a huge point. I've got my brother over here(I may or may not have mentioned him before) who thinks he's going to be a famous author, but doesn't have the 'will to act'/hasn't written more than a page in a year. And definitely not for lack of time, lol. It takes determination! ^_^ To finish up, count me in complete agreement! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No comments to add, just saying I love the parallel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda: I used to think of Eragon as being similar to LotR, but once someone told me how similar it was to Star Wars, I realised it was true. Also, it would be so cool if you're brother made you all triplets! But he's not a triplet is he?

    Constance: I'm glad you like it! Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I always saw the outright copying of elves and dwarves and assorted lore from LotR, but it didn't really occur to me to look for the slightly less obvious parallels after that--I felt that I'd found enough wrong with it, haha. And as for my brother, he's three years younger. Knowing him, I'd rather not be his triplet...bad enough having to claim any sort of relation. =P

    ReplyDelete