Friday, 28 October 2011

Tips for Winning NaNo #2

I’ve never done NaNo before, but doesn’t mean I can’t help, right? This week, I’m posting some tips to help you write 50K+ in November! (Sure, you could just Google it, but then I don’t have anything to post on this week :P ) You can see Part 1 here.

Competitions with friends: If you’re like me, you like to win. Even if you’re not competitive, having a writing competition with your friends can be a great way to boost your word count. You can race each other to 1K, or see how many words you can get down in ten minutes.

Skip the hard bits: 50K is a lot to get down in 30 days, so you need to getting down as many words as you can in each writing session. To maximise your words, you may need to skip the chapters that you find boring, that need a lot of research, or will slow you down in any way. Don’t forget, you can go back in December to write what you missed.

Simple tricks: There are simple things you can do to expand on your total. Hyphenated words count as only a single word, so don’t hyphenate a word if you don’t have to. You should also spell out any numbers too. Instead of writing 123, write “one hundred and twenty three”. That’s four bonus words! Contractions are a no-no in NaNoWriMo. “Don’t” = bad, “do not” = good. “Haven’t” = bad, “have not” = good.

Good luck NaNoers!

5 comments:

  1. Competitions: Awesome.
    Skipping: O_O ...You're kidding, surely. Going out of order is SINFUL. Besides, I can't skip anything; apparently I have a deadline till Feb 3rd, so Dec can't be used for more writing, it must be for sitting, followed quickly by editing. (Thanks for that, Amanda. <3 :P)
    And, LOL. If I didn't use in contractions, all my writing word sound weird and stiff. *snickers at the the thought*

    Ahem. But besides my contradictions and such, these are actually good ideas. I'm just not sure I could live with myself if I did the second one. xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Constance: I'm not sure if I'd be able to skip anything, because I write in order too. But I included it because there *might* be someone out there who does skip things. :) Although, I have skipped an entire chapter in my WIP. I had no idea what should go there, and now I've been too lazy to figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, good. I was worried about our friendship, what with you throwing out such crazy ideas. We're good now. xD

    Maybe nothing is supposed to go there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Constance: No, I think something needs to go in there, to show a lapse in time between the two chapters. I'm thinking perhaps something from another person's POV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, well do that then! You know your story best. :)

    ReplyDelete