Friday, 14 October 2011

If You Write, You're a Writer

Lately I’ve been doubting my identity as a writer.

“Am I really a writer?”

“Is writing what I’m supposed to do?”

“Will I ever be able to make it as a writer?”

You see, lately I’ve been doing these personality things on the internet and in class, and the results haven’t been what I’ve expected. I did a ‘are you left- or right-brained?’ quiz on the internet and the result said I was analytical rather than creative. In another personality test I did in class, creativity ranked third out of four.

So, with all these results swirling around my head, you can see why I’ve been doubting myself. They don’t seem consistent with results a writer would expect.

But… if you write, then you’re a writer. That’s all there is to it. Just by actually writing proves that you’re worthy of being a writer. Don’t listen to other people/silly internet quizzes, if you write, you are a writer.

8 comments:

  1. Analytical writers are people too!
    ...I mean. Um. Switch "writers" and "people". Yeah...

    But seriously. Humans are creative. No matter what a test says. And besides, uncreative people write too. They just don't write well. But I would give all the stuff on my desk (Hey, there is more valuable stuff than you would think!) that you're an awesome writer. So there.

    That was supposed to be encouraging. O_o *feels like it sidetracked a touch*

    You're right, though. If you write, you are a writer. That's all there is to it. You, my fine feathered Australian, are a writer.
    ...Maybe not a feathered writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get that, too! All the tests say that I should be doing math and science type stuff, and I feel bad, because I'm good at it, and there aren't a lot of girl math & science people out there. But I merely like those subjects, not love--thinking about a career in those fields seems boring. I LOVE writing, reading, & making up stuff. Also, I think being analytical is a great plus, because it allows for more creativity in the actual plotting arena, since analyzing things come naturally. I agree--if you write, you ARE a writer! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Constance: Were you tired when you wrote that? XD Thanks for the encouraging words!

    Amanda: I'm glad I'm not the only one! I'm really good at business, but I find it really boring. But alas, a writer's gotta have a day job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can be analytical AND creative. The two states are not mutually exclusive, no matter what the interwebs might tell you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...I might have been. >.> I deny everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merrilee: I'm glad so! Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the above. You can totally be both. And really, it's about you and what you want to do. If you want to write, you write! It doesn't matter what else you can do, you know?

    ReplyDelete