Monday, 31 October 2011

Halloween

Warning: Disjointed post ahead.

It’s interesting to see how different Halloween is between countries. Halloween seems to be a big thing in the United States, but in Australia it’s an informal thing. The US seem to buy elaborate costumes and have massive orange pumpkins, while in Australia kids make their own costumes, and I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen an orange pumpkin. As a bit of fun trivia, in Ireland, scary faces are carved into turnips. Yay for fun trivia.

One thing I really don’t like is all the grumpy people in Australia who don’t like celebrating Halloween. They complain when people trick-or-treat at their doors, telling them that “we’re not American so we don’t celebrate Halloween”.

-_-

My response to that is (or will be, because I only found out for this year) that Halloween has links to the Celtic festival Samhain (which derives from the Old Irish word Samuin, meaning ‘summer’s end’). There are also links to Roman festivals for the goddess Pomona. So Halloween originates from the United Kingdom, and Australia kinda originated from there too. So BAM! Take that grumpy old people.

Does this post have anything to do with writing? …No. But if you haven’t read a blog post I did a few months ago on fears, you can read it here. Even if you have already read it, feel free to read it again and check out the horrible spider picture. That’s enough to give you nightmares.

For the comments, are you dressing up for Halloween? If so, what are you going as? Have a great Halloween!

3 comments:

  1. I don't do Halloween. I simply don't. I celebrate on All Saints' Day, which is Nov 1(Or 2nd... I can't remember if it's first or if All Souls' Day is... O_o). But I hate getting creeped out, and that's all Halloween is about. It upsets me.

    I have to say, though. Your tweets from last night(yesterday, for you?) cracked me up. xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Constance: I've never heard of All Saints' Day, but after looking it up on the internet, I probably should have. Maybe it's not big in Australia.

    I'm glad *someone* benefited from the girls being at my house :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not big with anyone outside of Roman Catholicism, I think. :P

    ^_^ See? Something good comes from EVERY situation.

    ReplyDelete