Friday, 7 October 2011

100x100: Lessons Learnt

 
As I said on Wednesday, I’ve finished the 100x100 writing challenge. I leant heaps of things in the past 100 days, and I wanted to share a few of the major ones with you.

Get into a good habit: This was the biggest thing I leant. Before I did this challenge, I was aiming to write every day, but I just couldn’t manage it. This challenge really made me accountable, and I quickly got into the habit of writing every day without fail. If you have trouble writing daily, get a friend to keep you accountable. I found that it only took me a couple of weeks to get into the right habit.

It’s easier to write more: Before I started the challenge, I was writing 250 – 300 words each day that I wrote. Once I was able to write daily, I found it easier to write more and more. I kept my word count at 300 words a day for about half the challenge before I raised the bar to 500 words a day, which I’m currently doing. Soon, I’ll be ready to try increasing my word count even more!

Breaks are important: Sometimes you need to take a break from writing, and it’s okay. It’s not the end of the world. I took a break towards the 100x100 challenge, but when I came back I was fired up to write! If you’re starting to become tired of your WIP (as I was just before the break), having a few days off might be all you need.

I recommend doing a challenge like this if you’re struggling with your writing. It’s all about personal goals, so even if you start out at 50 words a day, at least you’re writing.

5 comments:

  1. These are some good lessons--I may have to start up my own personal challenge of writing a set amount every day, once I'm done editing, even if it's just 100 words. It'd be 100 words I didn't have the day before! =) It's an excellent habit to have. Great post. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda: You're exactly right: even if you only write 100 words, it's 100 words you didn't have yesterday! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have all sorts of new gems of wisdom every time I come around. I love it. :)

    NaNo is gonna really be good for me on that habit one. Definitely. *excited*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Matt!! I think we all learnt similar lessons. I've discovered an 80 day challenge which I think I might try next year called A Round of Words in 80 Days.

    ReplyDelete