Wednesday, 28 September 2011

Letting it Sit

Okay, small post today because I’m super tired, and I’ve got assignments to catch up on.

Last week, you may have seen my tweet that I finished my short story. It’s a short story that I’ve been writing throughout the year, and finished off over the past few weeks. Now that I’m done, I’m eager to start work on it.

My question is: how long should I let my short story sit for? I’ve never written such a large short story; usually only 3-4K. I let my last WIP sit for about two months, but a short story shouldn’t need as long right?

Let me know in the comments section!

4 comments:

  1. I wrote a short story for English class during freshman year...I actually only needed to let it sit for a couple days before I started to see the problems with it. Of course, I'd written it the night before it was due, so I couldn't really fix any of them...but I got a 100% A anyway--I'd been practicing my fiction writing seriously for about two years already, so it was above standard for the class level, haha. =) For something about 12k(I'm remembering the length correctly, right?), I'd let it sit for 2 weeks. That's almost a day for every thousand words! =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Amanda. *doesn't have enough experience to have an opinion otherwise*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Amanda. I would say let it sit long enough that you can start to see where it needs fixing. And work on something else in the mean time. You'll know when it's time to go back. It'll have that feel.

    HOWEVER, I can't say I do the same every time. What I did with my latest completion (Blink) was I finished it, and then like a day later I ran through it once and edited it into a rough draft 2. Then I mailed it to my #1 reader and started working on something else. I wrote about 11k in two separate, brand-new stories before my reader gave me notes back. Then I dropped everything else to start revisions on Blink, which I'm doing now.

    So I can't tell you one way or another, except that you should let it sit as long as need be. Yeah. All that's said above.

    ReplyDelete