Friday, 5 August 2011

Making Time to Write

I meant to post this on Monday… except I left post-writing until way too late, then my computer had issues. Anyway, enjoy!

*

(Late) Happy August!

Why am I so happy that it’s August? There’s only one more month until Spring!! Yippee!

My second semester of university is in full swing this week with all classes starting. Homework and assignments are coming through too, with my first piece of assessment due in just a few weeks.

With the ‘5,000 words in 5 days’ mini-marathon complete, I entered a bit of a writing slump, and I’ve only been writing my bare minimum for quite a few days now. I don’t get much writing done over the weekend, but I figured I’d be able to get heaps written on Monday. That’s today. (Well, not anymore, yanno, because it's Friday.)

As I write this, it’s nearly 4pm… and I’ve barely written anything today. I’ve got an assignment to write. I’ve got some homework to complete. I’ve got textbooks to look through. And I know that this evening I’m going to want to watch TV.

We have to remember though that it’s important to make time to write. If we only wrote when we had nothing else to do, there wouldn’t be many books published. If we’re serious about writing, we need to make a commitment, and that means giving up our spare time to write.

By giving up spare time, I mean give up some time you would usually spend watching TV, or surfing Facebook. (As a responsible person, I should tell you that doing homework isn’t part of your spare time, so you shouldn’t give it up. I know, life isn’t fair.)

For the comments, what do you give up for writing? Let me know!

5 comments:

  1. Writing is so infused in my life now, that it's actually the other way around for me. I sometimes have to GIVE UP WRITING to do something else.

    That doesn't happen often, though. I have a scheduled writing time EVERY DAY (2 hours) and it's firm. Like, the world could be ready to explode but it will have to wait until my writing time is over. :)

    Also I make myself take 1 weekend day off. I tend to get a little too driven. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was taken aback for a moment when you said it was almost Spring in August. I had to shake my head and remind myself you're in Australia. XD

    Anyhow, I like this post. And I don't actually give up much for my writing, because kind of like Authoress said, writing is part of my life. I could argue that I give up time I could be cleaning/exercising/spending time with people, but I mean... you have to choose how to spend your various free times, and I choose to spend a lot of mine writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Acts all cool as if it's no big deal that Writing-Goddess-in-human-form AUTHORESS is reading his blog*

    Authoress: I wish I had a designated writing time, but with university, I don't have any consistent time to write. I have to take what I can get. I tried having one day a week off, but I keep forgetting to take it. Thanks for commenting :)

    Lizzy: I really should be more clearer about who's getting Spring. I forget that the northern hemisphere is on a different season.

    I don't really get a lot of free time - even on my days off, I try to spend school hours working on uni related stuff. In theory that should mean I still have a lot of spare time but in reality, it never seems to work that way...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spring. Right. I was so confused for a second there.

    *cough*

    Unlike our charming Writing-Goddess-in-human-form Authoress (I rather like that nickname for her; it's quite apt :P) and Lizzy Twin here, I don't have it backwards. I guess I'm just a mere mortal like you, Matt.

    I'm still getting my family used to the idea that I... Write. And that Writing takes Time. Some family members are more willing to leave me be than others.
    And then there is work. I'm a swim teacher, and when I get off work, usually I just want to umph on my bed.
    Goodness, it's almost like being a grown-up. O_o

    But anyway. I usually divide my free time between writing, TV, lazy interneting, and studying my Korean. (because that is my choice to learn, it doesn't count as school. Hmph.)
    Usually, writing gets a pretty decent chunk of that time, but even when I'm being bad and spending barely any time writing, I'm usually thinking about writing. Which isn't the same, but I feel like it still counts sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Constance: I agree, thinking about writing isn't the same, but I think it (kind of) counts. At least working on our novel's problems!

    ReplyDelete