Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Lesson to Writing #6 Writing is Fun

Although I may not feel it, I’ve been writing for six years now, and over that time, I’ve picked up bits of knowledge. In the previous Wednesdays, I’ve be sharing those bits of knowledge in my series: The Six Lessons of Writing. Today, I’m finishing the series with Lesson #6: Writing is Fun.

*

Today’s post is a bit contradictory of last week’s, wouldn’t you say? Last week I discussed how hard writing is, but today I’m telling you how fun it is.

I have a question for you. Why do you write? Don’t answer with ‘for publication’ or ‘I have a three book deal, so I have to’. I’ll tell you what the answer is. For fun.

We write for fun. We write because we love to write. We write because there’s nothing we’d rather be doing.

As I said in my last Lesson to Writing post, writing a novel can take years, and that’s a lot of commitment. So if you’re not passionate about writing then you’re making a big mistake. You’d be better off doing something else with your time.

If you’re still with me, then I assume you write for fun. It’s really important that we have fun in our writing, because I think that that’s when we get our best writing done. When we’re stressing out because we feel like we have to get Chapter Thirteen written before we go to bed, then we’re forcing the words out, and they’re probably not the best words to write.

If you do have a three book deal, then meeting deadlines is vital to you, but don’t forget why you started writing in the first place.

What are your thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. My thoughts:

    Agreed. 100% agreed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you agree :) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't ever forget or underestimate the power of knowing that you write for fun. When you strip away the writing communities, the publishing industry and are left with you and your words it can be for nothing else than pure fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerryn: A great point! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete