Wednesday, 3 August 2011

Lesson to Writing #5 Writing is Hard

Although I may not feel it, I’ve been writing for six years now, and over that time, I’ve picked up bits of knowledge. In the following Wednesdays, I’ll be sharing those bits of knowledge in my series: Six Lessons to Writing. Today, I’m continuing the series with Lesson #5: Writing is Hard Work:

*

I’ve been think a lot lately about how hard writing is. For many people (myself included), writing is hobby, yet there’s so much hard work involved. Outlining, editing, the actual writing itself – each step involves lots of hard work. Overall, it can take years to complete a novel. That’s a lot of commitment.

But that’s what makes a writer a writer.

There are thousands of people in the world who *want* to be writers, but aren’t. Why? Because they’re afraid of hard work. They’re afraid of the commitment. “If only I had more time…” they say when talking about writing. “I’m just too busy…”

A real writer makes time. I’ve got heaps of things I could be doing right now. I could be watching TV. I could be reading. I could be working on an essay*. I could be on Facebook. But I’m not doing any of those things. I’m writing.

That’s what makes us real writers different from those wannabe-writers. We’re writing. They’re not.




*I said I could be working on an essay. I didn’t say I would.

3 comments:

  1. Very true! I've tried to explain this to my younger brother(he's 15) who thinks it'd be so easy for him to write a book and make money, he'd just have to do it, and HAHA look at you, Amanda, you've been working on yours for what, six years now?

    Yeah, he's written two pages, and he's been saying this for a year or so. It takes a ridiculous amount of commitment, and most of the time I don't even understand how I haven't once felt like I could quit. It's never even crossed my mind. I'm just really stubborn, I guess. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing IS hard. I've decided I'm crazy for not settling on an easier hobby... but I wouldn't have it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda: Sooner or later he'll realise *why* you've spent six years working on your novel :)

    Constance: We writers are incredibly crazy. But I wouldn't have it any other way either.

    ReplyDelete