Monday, 15 August 2011

Eats, Shoots & Leaves, by Lynne Truss

Hi, my name’s Matthew, and I use way too many commas.

I finally got around to reading Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss, as per Authoress’s suggestion. I loved it. I was primarily reading it for the section on commas, but I enjoyed the other sections too.

If you haven’t read this book, I strongly encourage you to. Not only is it informative, but it’s also quite an amusing read! There’s sections on apostrophes, commas, and pretty much every other form of punctuation mark.

If you have read this book, did you enjoy it? What were some important points you got from it? And while you’re commenting, what are some other great books essential for writers? Let me know in the comments section!

7 comments:

  1. I've seen this book around the interwebs, but haven't actually gotten around to reading it. I have my punctuation rules down pretty well, so I wasn't sure if the cost would be justified. Maybe they have it at the library...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely want to read this. I'm fairly decent at grammar, but it never hurts to learn more. My library doesn't carry it, but I think I might get it through interlibrary loan. I need to take advantage of my library more. O_o

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda:I can see where you're coming from, about cost-justification. Definitely try to find it at the library :)

    Constance: You're right, it doesn't help to learn more. There's always *something* we can learn. My library actually had quite a few copies, which was surprising. Even more surprising was that they were already on loan. I had to find it at my university's library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...Doesn't... help? *was so confused at first* :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to read all the comments a few times to work out what you were talking about XD.

    What I meant to say (I think!) was that it doesn't hurt to learn more. Thanks for pointing that out! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! You, sir, have a blog award. The Liebster Blog Award. Fancy that! =P Go here to claim it:

    http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/2011/08/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete