Friday, 12 August 2011

Book Buying Habits

Last weekend, there was a massive birthday sale at a bookstore I frequent. I’m talking MASSIVE. I managed to get a book for $10, one which the little price sticker said was originally $45. WIN. I only bought two books (I didn’t have too much money with me and I had to buy someone a birthday present. Not-win), but I got them for a combined total of a mere $18.

This sale really got me thinking about my book buying habits – I don’t buy a lot of books, and the books I do buy usually come from department stores. Why? Because books are so damn expensive.

I’ve got a massive TBR pile at the moment (don’t we all?) so I’m trying not to get too many new books (somehow I still do…). But when I want a book, I use the library. More often though, I have impulse-buys from department stores, all of which have around 35% off all books all the time (hence the reason my TBR pile is constantly growing). So, although I visit the book stores a lot, I never ever buy anything. They’re just too expensive, especially when I can go to Big W or K-mart and get it cheaper.

Another one of my habits is that I never buy a book by an author I’ve never read before. I’m a bit of a picky reader, so it’s a risk for me to buy a book which I might not enjoy. I always get those books out at the library, and if I like the book, I’ll buy the others. Yet, these two books I bought were by authors I had never read before. I’d seen the books around and wanted them, but figured I get them some other time.

For the comments, what are your book buying habits? Do you buy from bookstores or cheaper department stores? Or do you only borrow from your local library? Let me know!

5 comments:

  1. Well, my mom kind of buys whatever we want off Amazon--our virtual shopping cart's always full enough to get the free shipping option, haha. She's an elementary school teacher and justifies it as "building her classroom library," even though she's already got a million books, and most of these are YA level & too hard for the majority of her students. We used to go to the library, but it's about 20 minutes from my house, and we always ended up paying the price of the book in late fees(exaggeration, but yes.).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books too,they fascinate me more than watching flicks. So whenever I get to see book sales can't help but stop by and grab some ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't buy books. I'm too poor. :P So, I go to the library a lot. Which is terrible, because the library frequently doesn't have the books I want. -_-
    But hey, at least they are free and I can read them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use the library and I hardly ever buy books... unless I fall in love with a book and know I'm going to read it over and over again. Then I'll buy it. But libraries are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda: I am the master of renewing library books, which is good because otherwise I'd have the same problem as you!

    Ellen: Hey!I love sales. You can never have too many books! Thanks for reading :)

    Constance: I usually slip books into mu mum's shopping trolley :) Fortunately, my dad and brother read the same books as I do, it's like buying a book for all three of us! :P

    Gracie: Libraries certainly are awesome! I love them!

    ReplyDelete