Friday, 8 July 2011

Keeping Accountable

I’m participating in Merrilee Faber’s 100 Words for 100 Days challenge at the moment. Like the name of the challenge suggests, I have to write 100+ words for 100 days and report in each day with my word count.

I was a little unsure of signing up for it at first, because 100 days is a long time, and part of me was a bit scared of the commitment. But then I realised that I was already making a 300+ words per day commitment, and doing Merrilee’s challenge was simply keeping me accountable.

As far as my writing’s concerned, joining this challenge is the best thing I’ve done all year.  There are five of us so far, and we’re all roughly 12 days into it (a few are a day ahead/behind) and it’s definitely keeping me accountable. There have been a few days where I’ve been tired and want to go to bed. The only thing that gets me writing is this challenge. I sit down to write 100 words, but I find that once I start writing, I can’t stop, and I quickly write over 300 words!

I’ve now realised that when life gets in the way, we just need to start writing. All we have to do is sit down to write even 50 words. But once you start, you get into the story and the next thing you know, you’ve beaten your daily goal!

Not including today (Day 12) I’ve written nearly 4K words, which is nowhere near as much as I would have written without this accountability.

For the comments: how do you keep yourself accountable?

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome and kinda well timed. I've been struggling to make myself write lately (it may or may not have to do with the fact I've reached a point where I'm not sure what happens next). This is a good reminder just how helpful accountability is.

    I totally relate to the fear of commitment thing. I always shy away from stuff like this just for that reason.

    Usually I just hold myself accountable, which isn't always good at all. Scrivener's word meter bar has helped loads, telling me how much to write each day. If I don't want that number to go hellishly high, I need to write at least once a day. It helps. Some.

    Anyhoo, nice post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used Scrivener before, but I've read about some other people using it. I should try it one day.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying the windows beta of Scrivener at the moment and enjoying it. Simple, straightforward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should definitely try Scriv! I started using it a couple years ago (the earlier version) and I haven't gone back since. It's really wonderful.

    ReplyDelete