Monday, 25 July 2011

Just a Little Bit More

As of today (Monday), I’m half way through the ‘5000 words in 5 days’ marathon and powering along. At first I thought it would be impossible for me to complete, because 5000 words in 5 days is 1000 words a day (duh, Captain Obvious), and 1000 words a day is lot more than I’m accustomed to. But I think I’m doing quite well. I’ll share my stats with you after the marathon is complete (or you can go here and snoop around for my word counts, whatever you like).

Today I wanted to tell you how I push myself into getting the word count up. As you know, I aim to write 300 words a day, and I keep track by marking the spot I’m up to. This way, I have two word counts going: my daily word count, and the total word count for the day.

Whenever I’m writing and want to finish up, I push myself just a little bit harder by playing the two word counts off against each other. I’ll tell myself I can finish once I get my daily word count to a nice even number. So then I keep writing until suddenly, I’ve gone past that nice round number and have to keep going until I get to the next round number.

If I do meet that round number, I play that word count off against the total word count for the document – I make myself keep writing until the total word count is at a nice round number.

I’ve been able to make myself write hundreds of extra words by doing this and quite often doing this pushes me through any hard part which is making me want to stop!

Another thing I do is break down the word count. I tell myself to write just 100 more words. Just 100. 100 tiny little words… A few paragraphs, that’s all.

For the comments, how do you push yourself to write just that little bit more? Let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Oooh. My inner OCD really likes that "nice round number" system. I will have to try it when I start this next book. :D

    The other one, not so much. "Just a 100 words..." never works for me. I dunno why, it just doesn't.

    I usually tell myself to finish the scene/chapter. I hate stopping in the middle. And usually, I end scenes/chapters with cliffies(even if just minor ones), so I want to keep writing, and if I write even one sentence of the next scene/chapter, I HAVE to finish it or else.
    That may not work for everyone, but it works for me. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't work in scenes, only chapters, but I try to finish writing the chapter before I stop writing. Sometimes the end of the chapter is sooo far away that I have to finish in the middle.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scenes and chapters are frequently the same thing to me. :P

    I love reading! It makes my heart smile. :)

    ReplyDelete