Wednesday, 29 June 2011

Lesson to Writing #1 Every Writer is Different

Although I may not feel it, I’ve been writing for six years now, and over that time, I’ve picked up bits of knowledge. In the following Wednesdays, I’ll be sharing those bits of knowledge in my series: The Six Lessons of Writing. Today, I’m kicking off the series with Lesson #1: Every Writer is Different.

*

For most of my writing life, I’ve always tried to copy other “real” authors. I would think: They’re doing it, and they’re real authors. If I want to be a real author, then I should be doing it too.

With that thought, I began trying to mimic other, published, authors. I began typing out my work on computer (as opposed to handwriting my work). I tried to have a specified writing time. I tried outlining my novels over-the-top (as in, what the main character had for breakfast*). I trembled at the thought of having to pump out a first draft in three months. The list goes on and on.

I’ve learnt now that every writer is different. What works for one writer won’t work for the next. Typing out my novel? That works for me. But having a designated writing time? That works for some people, but not me. Over-the-top outlines? I feel that it stifles creativity. A rough draft in three months? Are you kidding me?! I wish!

If you write, then you are a writer. End of story. How you do it doesn’t matter. If you can only write at 1 in the morning under a full moon… well, it might take you a while to finish, but YOU’RE STILL A WRITER, and you’re no less of a writer than the cyborg that writes all day, every day and will have a completed manuscript by Christmas.

For the comments, what are your thoughts?


* Okay, not that over-the-top. But you get the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment