Friday, 17 June 2011

Curse of the First Action Scene

I’ve only been making slow progress on my WIP lately. It’s partially because it’s Exam Block so I’ve been focussing on my exams, but also because I just can’t seem to get Chapter Four written.

Chapter Four is the first action scene of the book, so I should be excited to write a chase scene, right? I haven’t written one in too long. Yet, every time I sit down to write… nothing. I’ve hit a wall. No matter how hard I try I simply cannot get this action scene written. It’s like I have Writers Block. I’ve only managed to write a feeble 600 words, but I think that even that will have to be cut to start again.

This isn’t the first time I’ve hit a bump when writing the first action scene. The previous chapter was supposed to be an action scene, but after a tough time trying to write it, I changed it to a bit of a hostage scene. And in my previous novel, POSEIDON’S TRIDENT, the first action scene was tough to write too!

I’m beginning to think I’ve been cursed by a cranky old witch. Have I annoyed an elderly lady who placed a jinx on me? Or maybe, similar to Lord Carnarvon (who discovered King Tut’s tomb) I’ve opened the tomb of a long dead writer who is cursing me for disrupting them.

Although, I am going to see the Tutankhamun museum exhibit later this year… maybe I’ve been cursed in advance? Hmmm…

2 comments:

  1. You're cursed? *slides away slowly* I'm just... um... gonna go over... there.

    But seriously. That stinks. I hope it gets better and you can write a super-amazing first action scene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WriteSpinner: I'm taking this chapter nice and slowly. I've devised a bit of a plan for the scene so that should help. Thanks for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete